Monday, November 10, 2008

Soul Coaching Day 9: Examining the Meaning that You Give Your Life

Sometimes water follows a winding route, but it always find its way out.

Sitting down to write today's post, I wondered if I had really already written it when I posted about
what I had learned from the turning points in my life. Looking at the book I noticed that I had bypassed Level 1 entirely: cleaning. So I went and handwashed a sweater. And then I sat down to write. And then I went to have a shower. And then I decided I was going to write about something that's really important to me and a little hard to share.

So, I sat down again to write about the pivotal moment when the boy next door ditched his hockey buddies to teach me how to ride a bike. I was going to write about what it means to feel important, how I've learned that that's not just okay but actually great.

And then here's what happened. Here's how the water found its way out through my tears today.

I was sharing with you this story:

"I remember it so well. The boy who lived next door had promised to teach me to ride a bike after school. I walked out our front door and saw him playing with his friends. And then something I just couldn't believe happened. With complete enthusiasm he said, 'Sorry, guys, I've got to go. I promised to teach Jamie how to ride a bike."

And in sharing the story, I remembered his smile and the ease with which he walked away from what he was doing to come help me, and I realized for the first time how deeply my dad's gruffness at being interrupted informed the wonder of this moment. And I cried for little 8-year-old me who had learned that she was an interruption instead of a joy. And I'm thankful to that little boy for showing me it just wasn't true.

This month I'm exploring Denise Linn's Soul Coaching with an inspirational group of bloggers at
The Next Chapter: Soul Coaching.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing how a simple action can illuminate what's missing. I'm glad you learned how great it can be to feel important, because you are very important in my life.

Thanks too for the reminder that our time and attention is such a powerful gift to give to others. It says, you are worth my time.

May water continue to flow and find your way this week.

Anonymous said...

Ah, that is amazing! I want to cry, too! This is gonna be some week (for me, at least and I feel it true for many of us).

Weird note: your photo resembles the one I just posted on my blog! ah!
Peace~
Dawn

Unknown said...

A BIG (((HUG)))!
It was the darkness that helped you recognize the light. I wish you an abundance of light and love.

Miss Robyn said...

YOU are a joy in my life, Jamie - each time I come here, I find hope & inspiration - thankyou xoxo

I think many of us are going to be crying for our little girls... you have turned yours into a positive, well done xoxo (now I have to work out how to do mine)

Mjfontaine said...

I can relate to this story and thats how I have always felt with father as an interruption. I it was a painful pill for me to swallow throughout my life until last year he told me he loved me..and I now longer felt that way.

A small action can really help us put perspective into a life situation.

Leila Anasazi said...

You remind me that my eight-year-old is my guide, my barometer of my truth. When I promise myself something, and break the promise, my little girl who suffers, and then I lose her light.

Seems like an empowering memory for you. Glad it came.

Genie Sea said...

Awww, what a touching and affirming story! Who says the young can't be wise. Your neighbor was! :)

Kel said...

Isn't it amazing how much power some of our childhood memories still hold. Thank you so much for your encouragement today as I start my soul coaching journey.

Tori said...

That is a touching, inspirational story. In a way I can relate.

You are not an interruption. =)

Suzie Ridler said...

And here are my morning water tears with yours. It's so healing to think that not all boys/men have that same gruffness but an openness. That is so alien for us. I'm so glad that boy shared that experience with you and put you first in a loving and happy way.

Shannon said...

What a beautiful realization and such a wonderful story. You are a joy Jamie!

Melanie Margaret said...

that was so beautiful. I wonder if that boy even knows...probably not. we impact each other every moment. Thank you for the reminder.

Caroline said...

Wonderful, wonderful story! My heart feel all gooey and happy right now.