Monday, July 09, 2007

The Success Principles ~ 18


This week's success principle, like last week's asking, is simple but not always easy. With principle 18 Jack Canfield tells us to "Reject rejection." He points out that rejection is simply a construct, that we haven't lost a thing when we're rejected. We're simply in the same position we were in before. He also lets us know through multiple examples that rejection is without fail a part of the road to success and perserverence is a must-have quality. There will be lots of no's along the way. How are you going to sustain your spirit until you get to yes?

For me, a big part of that is holding the belief that the right thing will come, that a rejection is an indication that this isn't the right thing for me at this time. I trust the Universe and take the Jack Canfield advice here and simply think, "Next." There's no denying though that sometimes rejection can hurt your heart. If you got a little knocked down and need some revitalization before the next thing, figure out your best self-care prep for that process. Go out with a friend who believes in you. Acknowledge your accomplishments and talents in your journal. Be loving to your wonderful self. Take a moment to remember all that's great about you, how important this dream is and then get back onto the adventure.

I think that it's important to add a step to saying "next" and moving on. What can you learn from the rejection? Sometimes the message is that this was truly not a good fit, this was the wrong guy, wrong job, wrong house, wrong opportunity. Why? How can you save yourself time and effort by eliminating poor fits from your to-do list? Other times you're saying to yourself, "I really wanted that job. I just know it's the perfect fit for me." This often means there's a disconnect with what's going on in your heart and in your life. Maybe it's the right fit in your heart, but something didn't match up. What needs to happen in order to create a good fit? More training? More confidence? Different environment? If you want it, figure out what you need and make it happen.

Once I auditioned for a show that I really wanted to be a part of. The director was working with the writings of a great Canadian author, using a movement-based approach and an aesthetic that was rich in symbol and poetry. I just knew it was a good fit for me. I didn't get the part. I did get the courage to call the director and ask for feedback on my audition so that I would be able to present myself more convincingly for another such role. It was so hard to make that call, but I knew this was the kind of work I wanted to do as an actor. So I did it. It turns out that the role I was right for (and there was a role I was right for) was already committed to an actor this director worked with consistently. He also affirmed certainly qualities I brought and what he had seen in me. It was a gift.

Are you ready to reject rejection? What will support you in getting through the sea of No to discover the land of Yes?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is such an important lesson and one that i'm working on currently.

it's great that you included this picture of a cat. this weekend i picked up a little handmade journal full of cat quotes and this was one of them. it stuck out to me and seemed just perfect for this post:

"Cats seem to go on the principle
that it never does any harm
to ask for what they want."
-Joseph Wood Krutch

Suzie Ridler said...

I love that rejection is just a way of realizing you're in exactly the same position as you were before. That's so true! What's devastating is having such high hopes, it's one of the reasons I practice unattachment, it's the best way I have found to dealing with stuff. I let the universe decide and let go of control. That doesn't stop me from trying though, that's for sure!

I like it when the universe says yes too. It's very rare for me but I feel like winning my cookbook was the universe saying, yes Suzie, keep going with the food photography and creativity.