Wednesday, July 11, 2007

DIY Entertainment Club

Recently Shannon and I were talking about how rarely we buy books, movies and CDs. (Truth be told I buy a lot of books but not fiction for quite a while) It suddenly occurred to me that you could create your own version of a "book of the month club." And that's exactly what we've decided to do. My plan is to put aside a bit of money so that at the end of the month I can buy myself either a book, a CD or a DVD. It's like a DIY Entertainment Club.

I started this month. A bit of extra money let me start off with a bang. I have to admit I did go with a business book, Growing a Business by Paul Hawken. You know, once I realized that building a business was a creative project, I've been obsessed! I also bought Kim Delmhorst's Songs for a Hurricane because when I heard the song Waiting Under the Waves on Pandora, I couldn't get it out of my head.

By the way, I just have to express how disappointed I am that services like Pandora are no longer available to Canadian listeners. More and more American internet content is being restricted to viewing/listening within the US. One perhaps unconsidered response to that is that more of us will turn to the rest of the world to see what's happening. There's lots of compelling work being created, like this fantastic CD that rounds out my DIY list by Sara Tavares, a Portuguese artist that a fellow Nia teacher recommended. It's a real treat.

Why not create your own DIY Entertainment Club? What would your first indulgence be?

5 comments:

Claudia said...

Books have become my chocolate - luckily I have discovered some book shops with fabulous english sections and I never leave without a book (or 2, or 3...).Great idea to treat yourself like this.

Shannon said...

Thanks so much for coming up with this idea, I totally can't want to do it myself! I think my plan is to set aside $ each week than buy a book, cd and dvd (and take up those crazy free shipping offers!).

Looks like you got some great picks there! I can't wait to hear what they are like!

Suzie Ridler said...

What a fantastic idea! I think it's a very cool project. I also tend not to spend money on myself at all but did actually buy some CDs the other day and man, I love Pink! Her Stupid Girls album really speaks to me. I'm going to try and do this more often although fiction doesn't speak to me anymore which is sad. I have all sorts of library books on buying a home and smart investing, not super entertaining stuff!

Melanie Margaret said...

I have not bought or read much fiction lately either.
Yesterday I bought Ask and it is given by Esther and Jerry Hicks.
I am really in to understanding how we are the creator of our own life. I feel drawn to finding out more about the connection between our physical and non-physical world.

Anonymous said...

Oy, Jamie, I'm so behind in your blog. I'm experimenting with having no internet at home, just to see what I do with my time. I'm reading a lot more now!

I am your cheerleader for your fearless forays into the world of business.

Right now I am deep into Al Gore's most recent book, "The Assault on Reason." It uncovers the crimes and injustices committed by the Bush Machine.

I'm about to start a book of short stories by .... a Chinese author whose name escapes me.