Sunday, January 20, 2008

Thinking about...

"Improvised and expressive art forms include theatre and dance improvisation, clown theatre and certain types of visual art that encourage spontaneous expression in favour of preplanning. the concept of beauty in these art forms relates to a sensitivy and honesty of expression and should not be confused with the beauty of traditionally perfected art forms such as classical music and ballet." Kathleen Rea, The Concept of Wild Beauty in Improvised and Expressive Art Forms

Do you know, when I first read that paragraph, I cried? There was something so important to me about this definition of beauty, this "wild beauty" as Kathleen calls it. I recognized it. I am passionately in love with it. In the theatre, I've experienced it as that moment in rehearsal when suddenly everything goes quiet and still, and everyone knows that something magical has occurred. It's indisputable. It's immediately recognizable. Your hair stands on end. Goosebumps arrive. Or for me, tears. It isn't a moment of classical aesthetic perfection. It's a moment of truth. This 'wild beauty' is a sacred moment of aliveness.

5 comments:

Jessie said...

Jamie, your response to Kathleen Rae is beautifully written. And tears...yes, that is how I know something is speaking deeply and truthfully to me as well. Amazing, isn't it...the way we know. Or, more specifically, the way we feel.

Marilyn said...

I felt that moment a short while ago when I was listening to live drumming in Portland (via the net) accompanying these teenage dancers:

http://tinyurl.com/yrg9hd

It reminded me of what a HIGH I used to get from Afro-Haitian dance class...and made me wonder how I'd get it back...

Anonymous said...

oh how beautiful you are! i love this photograph of you in the dance.

ps ... i've moved.

Jana B said...

I remember those moments from Band class... when everyone was playing, and suddenly the music took on an energy of it's own.... it was truly magical.

I miss that.

Scarlett said...

OOOoooooo i love this! how wonderful. and yes, how wildy beautiful is it to be passionately in love with something as expressive as dance!!! i love dance too and felt this way when i was an active, regular member of a bellydance group...i long and yearn to get back to this as when i was a part of it, i can't say i ever felt better phsycially or spiritually, there was something there connecting me to divine...OH how i loved this....i moved out to the country about 4 years ago and stopped attending...wow, how different i felt! now, i'm back in the city, and free (well, almost) to go. i have to get my finances back under control, and as soon as i do, my belly is OUT there, baby! yeah!
xoxo