Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Housekeeping Meme (Can you believe it?)


I am truly amazed that I'm doing this meme and that I found it so interesting. I found it at Deb's Daily Distractions.

Housekeeping A to Z

aprons - y/n?
I don't wear an apron, but frankly, I should. I still remember the wonderful apron I had as a girl. It was yellow and had a J on the front. I loved it.

baking - y/n?
Not very often. I remember the first time I baked around my husband. I made chocolate chip cookies and he enjoyed them so much and indulged so much that he said, "Jamie, please, never make those again." We ate them fast, often and even for breakfast! But if you want to see baking, check out my sister
Suzie and her yummy creations.

clothesline - y/n?
No. I understand the value of a clothesline but we have a small yard and are really close to our neighbours. I am way too private to hang out my "smalls," as they say on Coronation Street.

donuts - ever made them?
I can't even imagine.

everyday - one homemaking thing you do everyday?
The dishes. I pine for a dishwasher. It would have to be a condo-sized small one because we don`t have much space. Though I do have to say that whenever I'm discouraged or bogged down and just feel like I need to step away and accomplish something, the dishes are handy. I also tend to do them when I'm making a cup of tea.

freezer - do you have a separate deep freezer?
No. There's just the 2 of us, and we don't really need it. Plus, we don't really have space for one.

garbage disposal - y/n
No, we don't have one. Toronto has a green bin program where they collect organic waste separately.

handbook - y/n?
Well, what I consider my handbook is my
flylady control journal.

ironing - love it or hate it?
I avoid things that require ironing. It's simply too much of a hassle. I do have to say though that there are some things I really enjoy having freshly pressed, like tablecloths.

junk drawer - where is it?
You know what's weird? I thought, "Lol, that`s so true. Everyone has a junk drawer" and then when I went to type where mine was I thought, "Huh? I don't really have a junk drawer." Weird.

kitchen - design and decorating?
It strikes me just how often I've mentioned my preference for a white kitchen on this blog. Poor
Shannon knows it really well personally because she's helped me paint more than one. The clincher was the kitchen where I took off all the cabinet doors and we painted the insides and all the shelves (top, bottom and sides) white, white, white and it took 3 coats. I love you, Shannon! By the way, today`s picture is Shannon once again helping transform our latest kitchen into dazzling whiteness.

love - what is your favorite part of homemaking?
When it's all done and you feel great in your space. Actually, I do also have to say the mental decompression that I feel when I just putter around the house, knowing that everything's getting nicer with each little step I take.

mop - y/n?
Not as much as I should.

nylons - wash them by hand or in the washer?
I don't wear them often but when I do, it's by hand.

oven - do you use the window or open it to check?
Open it. Then you can check with your nose too.

pizza - what do you put on yours?
Depends on my mood but I love pepperoni, mushrooms, feta cheese and onions.

quiet - what do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?
There are quiet moments? Just kidding. Well, sort of. When I take a quiet moment, I journal.

recipe card box?
Nope. I have a binder called Jamie's Family Cookbook.

style of house?
I'm not sure I understand this question. Our taste tends to be rather modern but our house is older. I would love our home to be beautiful, elegant and serene.

tablecloths and napkins - y/n?
Not on a day to day basis but I love when there's an opportunity to pull details like this out. Love it, love it, love it!

under the kitchen sink
The garbage, the green bin and cleaning supplies.

vacuum - how many times a week?
Never more than once unless we're having company.

wash - how many loads do you do a week?
Two. One dark. One light.

x’es - do you keep a list of things to do and cross them off?
I am the Queen of Lists!

yard - who does what?
Justin takes care of the grass. I take care of the plants. We both do the watering and cleaning up.

zzz’s - what is your last homemaking task for the day?
Putting away my clothes.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow, what a fun meme!! Housekeeping, who woulda thunk it? I found your answers fascinating! I as surprized how many answers were 'don't have a lot of space', what would be your ideal kitchen? I can hear ya on the dishes, they do help when ya need a break, especially if it comes to also be tea time!

Suzie Ridler said...

I love to picture that goes with it, totally appropriate plus I adore all those in it. A housekeeping meme is a great idea, I might check this one out.

You can get a thin portable dishwasher from Canadian Tire BTW, my friends have it and love it. Having it portable means you can put it way at the back of your kitchen out of the way until you need it. I LOVE ours but I would pay the extra $ for a big one, no regrets there.